The Iowa Division of Labor regulates boilers and unfired steam pressure vessels according to Iowa Code Chapter 89. Some water heating boilers used for pools or spas are regulated by the Iowa Department of Public Health. More information can be found by reviewing the Iowa Code and Administrative Rules.
Boilers and Pressure Vessels Covered by Iowa Law
Coverage depends on location, pressure, size, and type of the equipment. Pressure vessel coverage is limited to unfired steam pressure vessels. Effective July 1, 2018, some water heaters will no longer be covered by there requirements. A water heater with capacity less than or equal to 120 gallons, burner input less than or equal to 200,000 Btu's, and maximum allowable working pressure less than 160 psi will become exempt July 1, 2018. Read about coverage of the Boiler and Pressure Vessels Laws.
Tips for an Owner or User of a Covered Boiler or Pressure Vessel
- Make sure inspections are performed on time by an inspector authorized by the Iowa Division of Labor.
- Post the current annual operating certificate in the room with the boiler or pressure vessel.
- Obtain proper repairs. Some repairs and alterations must get prior approval
- Notify the Iowa Division of Labor in the event of an explosion or accident
- Keep your equipment in safe and proper working order according to the manufacturer’s specifications
Boiler and Pressure Vessel Board
The Boiler and Pressure Vessel Board has authority to write rules, review inspection reports, grant waivers from rules, and more.
Contact the Boiler Staff
Advance Notice of Boiler Installation Form
Boiler and Pressure Vessel Incident Report
Hot Water Heating Boiler Log
Steam Heating Boiler Log
High Pressure Power Boiler Log
Special Inspector Commission Application
Safety Complaint Form
Advance Notice of Conversion
ASME CSD-1 Manufacturer's/Installing Contractor's Report
Frequently Asked Questions
American Society of Mechanical Engineers
National Board of Boiler & Pressure Vessel Inspectors
PDF and Webpage Issues
Open Records Requests