Parents and Children
In order to ensure a 14 or 15 year old minor is properly set up for work, follow these steps:
- Wait for a job is offer.
- Print the Iowa Child Labor Permit.
- Complete both the sections for the minor and for the parent.
- Takes the work permit and proof of age to the employer.
Approved proof of age options include:
- A driver's instruction permit.
- A certified birth certificate.
- A certified baptismal record showing date and place of birth and place of minor's baptism.
- Federal identification such as a passport, visa, I-99 or "green card."
- A physician's certification of minor’s age sample available on the Division of Labor website.
The following are not approved proof of age options:
- A Social Security card.
- A statement from a parent.
- An I-9 form.
An employer who has elected to hire a minor for employment is responsible the following:
- Complete the employer's information and employer representative's information sections of the work permit form.
- Retain the original permit with copy of the proof of age.
- Review the Iowa Child Labor Law sheet (which is provided on page 3 of the work permit form) and comply with all the duties and hours requirements.
- Review the Iowa Child Labor Permit to ensure it is complete.
- Indicate which proof of minor's age has been given and make a copy for your records.
- Within 3 days of the minor starting work, submit a copy of the Iowa Child Labor Permit form to the Iowa Division of Labor – Child Labor. Do not send a copy of proof of age with the completed permit.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. An auto reply will be received by sender as acknowledgment.
- Fax: 515-725-7957. Keep the transmittal receipt as proof of submission.
- Mail: Iowa Division of Labor - Child Labor, 1000 East Grand Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50319-0209. You will receive an email confirming that we have received the permit.